PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 4th Nov 2011, 09:22
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clotted,

If you showed more of the post I made, you would see I'm not dreaming. Maybe hopeful that there are a few in Canberra who will take a CEO and company to task for their actions. This could be signalling the beginning of a change in the way the government handles "rogue employers" (Doug Cameron).

This is a test case for Australian IR laws, particularly FWA. If it is seen to be a victory for QANTAS in what they did when they grounded their own airline, and told the government and FWA that anything short of a termination of IA will keep the aircraft grounded, no matter the expense to the customers and the economy in general, then this will open the gates for all major companies to do the same.

Today's hearing is just that. A hearing. If it progresses to the next stage of an enquiry and investigation, then it becomes interesting. It will become a bit more than a couple of hours of giving AJ a hard time, and applying some heat on him.

I agree, the senate committee, Canberra and the board are just circuses performing under the big top. It stops being a circus when implications and allegations are being thrown around. Pollies don't like being in the firing line, and will turn it around when it comes to the crunch. It's either them or AJ. AJ has named people high up in Canberra. He now has to back that up, but he has shifted on a few items of his story about who and when they were contacted.

This is just stage 1. No victories or cheer squads. Just patiently waiting the events to unfold.