PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing vs Charter
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 06:15
travelator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With those kind of hours angel, airlines will not be looking so is a moot point (unless you want to buy a job at Jetstar and they won't care either!)

Reference the original question, do whatever you think suits your life/goals best. They both have pros and cons.

Instructing
Good if you want to stay in a major town.
Good for basic knowledge (read and learn things yourself, don't just blindly believe what you are told. So much rubbish gets recycled in flying schools because many don't know any better)
Bad if you want to earn a living (I had 2 separate jobs and lived at home with mummy and daddy!). Some places are better than others at bringing in work.
Bad if you want to fly something other than a 152.
Bad for basic stick and rudder skills although you will get proficient at saving bad landings etc.
Bad for any kind of commercial awareness.
Will not be exposed to very challenging conditions as a gd 3 because most ab initio needs favorable weather.
Slow progression onto multi.

Some of these things vary depending on who/where you are employed.

Charter
Good for learning how to actually fly and make decisions (no standard lesson plans)
Good for learning to deal with commercial pressures.
Good for operating into different aerodromes and marginal weather, can range from departing an international airport and landing on a dirt track.
Generally pretty good for progression onto bigger and more complex machines including twins.
Bad if you want to live in a big city.

I have done both and got far more from the charter/RPT stuff than instructing, but I had to leave my home city and haven't been able (nor want) to go back in over 10 years. If you can, go north and you will have a great life and career, just be open to it.