PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2011, 00:35
sdbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
That's pretty impressive. So what's the minimum altitude for succesful CAPS deployment in an EFATO situation, assuming more or less level flight? About 500' or so?
Yes, 500' AGL is a convenient rule of thumb.

Flight instructors involved with the Cirrus full-motion simulators and the Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program (CPPP) have established two altitudes for loss of engine power on takeoff and the following guidelines based on the viability of the CAPS parachute system:
  • Below 500' AGL: NO CAPS!
    Plan a departure briefing with options to land straight ahead
  • Above 500' AGL: CAPS NOW!
    Immediate action is required due to the observed delay in recognizing an emergency and then taking action, before the aircraft descends below a viable altitude for using CAPS
  • Above 2000' AGL: CONSIDER CAPS!
    Note that this is higher than pattern altitude, and it provides sufficient altitude to make choices, but stay alert for descent through 500' AGL when CAPS may be a better choice than an off-airport crash.
These procedures are accompanied by guidance on developing a departure briefing. What altitude is 500' AGL? 2000' AGL? What are my options below 500' AGL? Where will I be if I climb at Vy to 500' AGL? How can terrain affect my options? Etc.

Cheers
Rick