PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clothing issues
Thread: Clothing issues
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 23:09
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To this day I have still not had a satisfactory response to why cabin crew are required to wear tights/stockings/pantihose/nylons. Aside from aesthetic reasons there is not one good reason for them to be worn.

I recall reading a flight attendant describing her burns from nylon stockigns however the accident escapes me at the moment, it might be UAL 232 but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

I remember doing a cabin prep once, told the juniors if they got time to get rid of the stockings if they could, while sitting on the jumpseat if need be as I would hate to think what would happen in a fire. Same goes for the scarves that middle eastern airlines insist on having- flammable polyester right near the face.

Qantas' shiny dress is supposedly fire retardant but I managed to scorch a few with an iron so I highly doubt it!!! The jackets, pants and skirts however were wool and definitely protected one crewmember during an oven fire incident who wore the jacket backwards to supplement the fire gloves. We were always advised to keep the jacket on for takeoff and landing.

Now wherever possible I will change into cabin flats asap after pushback so I don't have to worry about the heels. I know they say the 'high heels off' thing comes from stilettos and not court shoes but I won't be taking any chances. I also recall an interview with an FA post accident where she described walking over burning metal because she had to remove her shoes prior to landing.

If I can find links to either will post here.