PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 20:42
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
@Franzl:

I'm not being sarcastic at all!

I'm asking as simply as I can whether you think putting two people in the flight deck who are not trained to fly manually at altitude, when the type they are flying has a known issue that significantly increases the odds of them having to fly manually at altitude, could be considered a bad idea. My personal opinion is that it's an incredibly bad idea with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, and I was genuinely interested in yours.
We discussed the training or the lack of it at length, not only in this thread but in several others. To ride that old horse in comment of a serious issue from myself is sensless. You know my answer to these obvious issues long time ago. Your question is not honestly, it is there to distract.

As for fast jet experience, I wasn't saying that you'd need it to feel the difference, but that I'd expect that you'd need that experience to know instinctively what to do about it, and that the evidence so far suggests that neither of these guys, nor the Captain, had that experience.
My fast jet expierience isnīt even necessary in the discussion, its again a distraction you use. It is obvious, that any pilot flying with passengers unstrapped in the back tries to avoid g loads less then 1g, and when they are unavoidable when initiating a descent, to do it as sensible as possible. Therefore to shove the stick forward and thus to increase this unloading when already 0.8 (20% less than normal) are felt is expecting too much (also in the hindsight it would have been correct).

Maybe they were instinctively trying to unload, but what little flying experience I have was underpinned with the proviso that your body can and will lie to you about your physical orientation and as such one should ignore it and trust the instruments in front of you.
You dont get it? Read the loadfactor trace in the timeframe iīm talking about (my previous posts), they where unloaded, although due to other reasons and therefore didnīt increase the unload any further. Therefore the stick position (my assumption).

If you really want to bring your personal expierience into this, then look up the area of loadfactor protection in ALT2, what inputs (speed, aoa, or whatever) are being used, at what values this protections kick in and how it changes with different speeds, and how this protection would work out.

That could be usefull.

Otherwise i think we waste time with each other and others start getting bored. Therefore i will quit answering to such posts.