PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 20:14
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Franzl:

I'm not being sarcastic at all!

I'm asking as simply as I can whether you think putting two people in the flight deck who are not trained to fly manually at altitude, when the type they are flying has a known issue that significantly increases the odds of them having to fly manually at altitude, could be considered a bad idea.

My personal opinion is that it's an incredibly bad idea with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, and I was genuinely interested in yours.

As for fast jet experience, I wasn't saying that you'd need it to feel the difference, but that I'd expect that you'd need that experience to know instinctively what to do about it, and that the evidence so far suggests that neither of these guys, nor the Captain, had that experience.

Maybe they were instinctively trying to unload, but what little flying experience I have was underpinned with the proviso that your body can and will lie to you about your physical orientation and as such one should ignore it and trust the instruments in front of you.

I don't see how that could be misconstrued as anything other than an honest question and opinion. Just because someone has accused me of arrogance on another thread for having the gall to tell an actual pilot that the sidestick does not control the autopilot doesn't mean it's true!