PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 18:48
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things have gone very quiet internally and there is suddenly a lot of spare capacity in the sim, which two months ago was very rare. This indicates that training capacity is less of an issue. However, the freeze in recruitment could be for a number of reasons and you have to take into consideration a number of other factors, such as forward bookings being down (although premium loads are still good), lgw fleet replacement decision delayed until next June and then there are the numerous rumours circulating re. BMI and the possible implications of any tie up. Hopefully things will become much clearer in the next few weeks.
I don't mean to be horrid here, however I think SkyRocket10 could be on to something here; unfortunately. Things have suddenly went mysteriously quiet. Initially everyone believed delays were inevitable due to a capacity issue within the BA training department. Others had suggested that the finalisation of bids for fleet transfer were taking precedence over DEPs. The bidding is now complete and indeed finalised, so I believe. It comes with little comfort that the eurozone is teetering. I would imagine there is now a slight ere of caution. That and the rumours with regards to bmi. If such a deal were to go ahead, how would it be integrated? Are BA just after their much coveted slots at LHR, or is it more? I haven't heard of too many people being offered start dates. Where are the much discussed January and February courses? I personally know one person who has been in the hold pool since late spring and has heard little to nothing. They qualify for both the LH and SH DEP scheme.

Its all quite disconcerting. I hope that it amounts to little more than people just being a tiny bit paranoid!! After all the need for 800 pilots over 4 years cant simply go away, can it? And people are still pitching up for day 1 and day 2 assessments at Braincrank so I believe?