PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS approaches in UK?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 17:47
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Compared to the USA, we in the UK are still very much in the beginning of GNS approaches.

A couple of years ago, a few airfields in UK agreed to take part in GNS approach trials. As one of the inhabitants of one of the chosen few airfields and who had an aircraft with a fitted bit of kit (Garmin 430) and who had a lot of interest in having GNS approaches approved, I volunteered to take part in the trials.

I took part in the trials right from the beginning.

As a professional pilot of getting on for 50 years experience, I was not too happy with the way things were going so I called the Belgrano (the CAA) and asked to speak to the GNS team.

I found myself talking to a very nice chap who, when I started to talk "practicality", admitted that he had never done an RNAV approach in his life.

So; I said "Get your arse down here and we shall go and do some".

The next piece of fascination is that he called me to tell me that he could not fly with me between the hours of 0900 and 1700 because his Lords and Masters in the CAA had told him that "since I did not have an AOC, he would not be covered for insurance if we had an accident between 0900 and 1700".

To give him his due, he asked me if we could fly after 1700 and I was happy to do this. He came along with cameras and videos and went away happy after several approaches having finally seen the ease of making a GNS approach for the first time.

According to the UK University that was involved in collating the results of the GNS trials, I did nearly 10% of the total approaches flown during the trial.

What really p*ssed me off at the end of the day was when my local airfield was finally approved by the CAA for GNS approaches, the let down plate had been modified in one very important fashion.

The MAP (Missed Approach Point) had been changed from a GNS distance from touchdown to to the airfield NDB.

Now this is a nonsense. The whole object of having a GNS let down is that it is a "stand alone" aircraft aid.

Now we have a situation whereby the fact that if the Victorian NDB (which I thought we were getting rid off) is U/S, then we cannot legally do a GNS approach since the MAP cannot be determined according to the CAA!!!!!!!

However, it is a good move from the airport operator's point of view for they can now charge you for the use of their (probably dubious) NDB when doing a GNS approach.