PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2002, 18:10
John Purdey

CHINOOK

BRIAN. Many thanks for the thoughtful and courteous repost.Your points: 1. If a/c not under control, how did crew manage to cope with the reported moderate turbulence over the sea? And why no distress call? 3. No, it was - as I said - deduced from time of the fix from Aldergrove radar and time of impact - answer an average of (I think I am right) of 153 kts. 4. What about the other ten witnesses on the Mull? 5. No, distance from lighthouse (intended waypoint) to point of impact - more than 500 yds right of intended track. 8. Why unable to do anything about it?
Of course you are entitled to your views, it is just that they seem not to coincide with mine, and nor as I said earlier in these exchanges am I trying to persuade you or anyone else.
But it still seems very odd to me that the most professional flying Service in the world could lose a valuable crew together with 25 passengers, and then say 'we do not know what went wrong'.
I maintain that there is one coherent explanation, and that is the one I have given.
I take absolutely no satisfaction from holding the conviction that I do, and as I have repeatedly said I devoutly wish that there was some other explanation.
With renewed good wishes, yours aye John Purdey