PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport at St. Helena
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 16:30
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport at St. Helena

I just heard an interview with the MD of SA company Basil Read, which has been awarded the contract to build a new airport on St. Helena. It will be a R2.5 billion project.

The project was originally mooted in 2003, stalled in 2008, and is now going ahead. The airport will be built on a plateau on the East of the island, I didn't get the details of the runway length and so on, but they mentioned it will be roughly comparable with Nelspruit (rwy length is 3000m) and will handle aircraft carrying up to 200 passengers.

There will be a temporary runway operational within 12-18 months, until that time supplies and workers will be taken to/from the island by a 3000 tonne RORO vessel.

I should imagine that the terrain will present huge logistical difficulties but it will be an interesting airport bringing some benefits to the island and its 4000 inhabitants, many of whom are opposed to the plan.

(I got the above from a radio interview with Basil Read's MD, Marius Haynes. My quick transcription may not be fully accurate.)