PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Flight Simulator - University Project Question
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 15:14
kenparry

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only GA simulators of which I have any experience is some Frasca sims that Oxford ATS (as it was then) used for IR lead-in training in the late 70s. My dim recollection is they had some feel system, perhaps only a spring feel of fixed characteristics. I think any sim, whether fixed-base or with a motion system, would be extremely unpleasant and very difficult, as well as unrealistic, if it had no form of force feedback, at least in pitch.

Don't think that airliners with powered controls have poor force feedback; it's not so. For decades they have had q-feel to give realistic control forces.

Pilot DAR makes good points about how real manual control forces vary, and you would be looking at a complex system, as well as a comprehensive aerodynamics data package, to generate fully realistic feedback. However, a simple spring feel system would be simple to fit - and there were some aircraft with powered controls that had no more than that. For example, the Hunter had simple spring feel in pitch (with the addition of a bobweight on the Mk 9 to give some g-related feel). In roll, I can't remember, but there may have been none. (Edit: now I remember, spring feel on the ailerons as well)

Last edited by kenparry; 9th Nov 2011 at 13:20.