PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish LOT 767 wheels up landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 11:27
Jetjock330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the A330 (I imagine the same general rule to 767 would apply), the loss of single hydraulic is not a cause for diversion unless you don't fit into destination. Neither does it warrant a change in ETOPS once airborne. There is no land ASAP at all. Your capability is degraded to CAT3A, yes, so why divert and land at possible worse off adequate (which might only be a VOR anyway) airfield when home base might be fine with sufficient reserves and runway/weather/you name it. All legal and fine, that's why we fly redundant aircraft, and it so happens the gear gets stuck and is only confirmed once the effort is made to lower it

Further more, when will you know if the gear is hooked/hung up jammed??? of course when you try to lower it on final approach landing anywhere and in this case home base. Perhaps earlier, but it does not make a difference does it? He passed Boston, Halifax, Gander, St John, Rejkavik, Shannon, Dublin, Manchester, Standsted, Heathrow, Brussels, Amsterdam and he picked home base. That's fine by me, the rules were not broken and it turned out absolutely fine. Could you imagine diverting to a small insignificant adequate airfield only to find out the gear won't come down at 2000ft???

I believe the crew did a fine and outstanding job and I will not second guess them.

Well done Captain Wrona