PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corporate pilot lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 10:37
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!

...you get to see cool hotels and can enjoy that for 2-3 days! :-)
Luckily no two jobs in our business are alike (as others have already pointed out). My job interview went something like this (after having flown for a small express cargo outfit for some time where you checked in for duty monday morning and never knew if you would be home again on tuesday, thursday or saturday...):

I: "Do you stay away overnight often?"
Future employer: "Rarely, maybe two or three times per year."
I: "OK, I'm your man then!"
Future employer: "Don't you want to hear about the salary?"
I: "No, you already told me everything I need to know!"

I hate staying in hotels. Always did. Regardless of the hotel. I haven't gone on holidays for ten years because I hate hotels so much.
On average I have less then three overnights per month (including the sim recurrents!). And few of them for my employer himself, only for the AOC-holder that manages "our" aeroplane and borrows us (the aeroplane and myself) when they need us (on very short notice, which is the only downside of my job).

And regarding the original question: One of the principal virtues of a corporate or business-aviation pilot is patience! If you don't have a lot of that, you will soon hate the job and the life that comes with it. Being able to wait patiently is an integral part of our work. For hours and hours and hours in some drafty and dark corner of an almost deserted airport building where you can keep the taxi stands in sight without freezing to death. Calling dispatch every half hour to delay the flight plan(s) and negotiate slots. And then being forced to do some "creative" paperwork to make it all stay within duty time limitations.

If you have a choice, look for a corporate employer who has placed his aircraft under an AOC. This takes away most of the paperwork from you and gives you some protection against excessive duty times.

Happy landings,
max