PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 09:41
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TT, absolutely correct & controlled contribution when it might be tempting to be a bit more colourful! I flew 73,75,& 76 before going A340. Hated the latter. You do not fly the plane. All autopilots out, no, you are NOT connected to the controls. You are still connected to computors. Tough, high speed conditions gave us those lovely things called PCU's. Lose all hydraulics in the 73 & you really were connected to the contol surfaces. It was called Manual Reversion. Very tough to fly , especially with an engine out. 75 made me scared when I read the clear statement in Mr Boeing's manual..."There is no manual reversion". Three hydraulic systems and a RAT made it unnecessary. 76 was the same. Forced on to the A340 made me rethink my career. Horrible. It flew me. Even when esteemed Instructor told me once, "Knock it all out & fly it like any other plane" ! Oh yeah, side stick was kinda fun & the plane did go where I pointed it. But, no thrust levers ! I mean they are there but they do not move. Going way off thread here though. I am a bit late into this discussion but I did notice pure Airbus pilots think through the automatics. Not their fault, they are trained that way & recurrently tested that way. Boeing pilots think like stick & rudder men. The AF pilots were faced with very confusing indications but it disappoints me to note (like a previous contribution) that 'Flight with unreliable airspeed' manouvres were not followed or were not properly understood.Oh, glad to be back on the Boeing.