PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's get something straight
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2001, 18:43
GonvilleBromhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TB,

Yeah like you I read the Brymon thread with interest, and agree there is no point whining about the fairness of the rules.

My route is also to sod the IR in favour of FI for a while. I think the point made about 1000 hrs in only a single and the attractiveness to airlines is a bit harsh though.

We're all familiar with the levels of the aviation food chain etc, but the reality is 1000 hrs is 1000 hrs. I know at some of the larger schools, instructors get their ME hours up by carrying out ferry flights as often as possible. Ok, it's not a gauranteed way of building up constant ME time, but it is a way. Save hard, get to the states and do a bit over there, it all counts.

I know guys who instructed for a year or two, didn't have the greatest number of ME time, but got hired in a variety of roles.

Air taxi (if you can find it), it all helps.

The general gist of what I am saying is that maybe flying around in a PA-28 is not "the greatest" way to give the airlines what they want, but it beats what a hell a lot of other guys have to offer.

And as an aside from this, I know ex-instructors now employed in airline positions who say there is a heck of a difference in going in with 1000+ hrs than 250/300, just in general ability/confidence/awareness.

Don't flame me for this, I don't mean 1000 hrs = good pilot, 250 = bad, not at all, but in confidence, general awareness etc, the more experience the better.

All the best.