PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK hiring DEC's for 2012.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 06:13
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, after you ran off the runway [and at the weight just after T/O it would have been well off!] and the company asked why you did not do any ecams or check runway length required you would say what exactly?

Regarding DECs:

I think you will find most QF Captains would prefer to stay at home.

If required though, they would do a fine job, just like current EK Pilots.
To flatten the waves a bit:

Probably the majority of EK pilots would have preferred to stay at home, but couldn't.
It looks different with a cosy contract at home. Just wait until yours gets joyced or scrapped for good. You might start liking to come to the pit.

If you come, I am certain you would do a fine job. We need pilots, maybe not necessarily DECs.
If though, just be aware that coming as DEC is not a walk in the park.

(now as a continuation of the thread creep, you don't have to read that:
The QF chaps did a good job bringing the aircraft down in one piece. It is however more than legitimate to analyze the accident and maybe come to a different conclusion.
- Remember SR111 at Halifax. The crew went down the same road, trying to work the checklist and dump fuel. Unfortunately the aircraft gave it up before they could realize their plan. Some then pretended it would have been more appropriate to land directly, even taking into consideration an overrun on that short runway. When is what plan more successful? QF32 could have gone awfully wrong staying airborne just as SR111 could have gone well with an overrun. It's hard to judge in the aftermath, but it leaves both plans open to debate.
- QF32 had a five men crew. How often do you get that? Isn't the modern airliner set up for a two man crew? Would two men have been able to go and do a visual check? Would they have been able to interpolate between various tables to assess some landing distance? I guess not. Remember the captain was basically a sidestick operator and the FO a ECAM operator. No time for additional stuff! They might just have gone for plan B under such circumstances. Now, should we never board a 380 if less than five crew on board?
- I took the configuration of QF32 and worked the landing distance of a T7 with MTOW. No overrun in SIN. Should we not board a 380 with MTOW, because it has this huge LD requirement?

Again, they did a good job, kudos.
But it seems that today we make heroes of about any pilot who gets the aircraft down in one piece and then pretend he would have been the rare one succeeding (implementing that we all, the others, might have not) and that his choice was the only viable one.

If it's not open to debate, we do not really learn, we only copy.)