PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 03:51
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLFinAZ
In spite of the endless drivel and speculation this should have been a non-event. For a professional pilot to lose an air frame that was handed off from the AP in an entirely stable configuration is unfathomable (vs a circumstance where the AP "spun out" until the airplane was in an entirely unstable configuration).

In effect the specter of "what is it doing now" has met the reality of why isn't it doing what it needs to? Evan as an "amateur" pilot the total lack of airmanship in this incident astounds me. At the end of the day the blunt truth is that the PF was fundamentally incompetent...and that is a scary reality.
SLF, the airframe might have been entirely stable when the A/P and A/T dropped off line, but they dropped off because of false inputs. The pilots were not faced with a stable situation. They were faced with the same bad data and had to quickly separate good data from bad data - and deal with a control law situation they had likely never before experienced.

I'm not ready to declare the PF fundamentally incompetent. :Let's wait until the entire CVR and DFDR data is released before we pass judgement.

It does appear on that pilot actions were incorrect, however that in no way exonerates the machine. The crews last comments indicate extreme confusion and I maintain that the machine was causing that confusion in large part.