PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 03:27
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dozy, does it disturb you that someone such as myself actually flys the Bus? I obviously don't know much about flying it or anything else.

Maybe you forgot that this string is about the crews final conversation. Some of these readers may not be interested in pedantic and anal analysis. That's over in the tech log.

My generalizations regarding the way an Airbus is hand flown are correct.

NOTHING you say or write will change the FACT that the SS does not directly control the control surfaces in other than direct law. Lateral SS movement is translated into roll rates and longitudinal SS movement is translated into load factor requests. I've flown cable controlled, steam gauge, jets for thousands of hours and I assure you that an lateral yoke deflection in a Lear does not result in a roll rate; it results in an aileron deflection which results in a roll rate depending on the airspeed and other factors. Likewise, yoke movements in pitch do not directly result in load factor changes; yoke movements in a Lear result in elevator movements which result in load factor changes depending on A/S etc.

I am NOT anti Airbus FBW. I'm anti the continual statements to the effect that it flys like any other airplane. It does not, and most anyone who actually operates one understands that fact.

I do have a question for you. Why is it that old dogs like myself, reared on the likes of DC9s, (NWA crews for example) manage to maintain control of UAS A330s in the ITCZ while the only airframe lost was flown by Airbus only pilots? BTW, everyone who's read more than my last three posts knows that I defend the pilots and am insulted by those who want to blame this accident on them.