PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What could you replace a Chipmunk with?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 00:39
Chipmunk Janie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of my 1000 odd GA VFR hours, 50% are spread out over 10 different Chipmunks. I'm right up there with all the Chipmunk obsessives.

I've flown the Tiger Moth, Harvard, Emeraude, Cap10, RV6 etc etc and, having looped and rolled a Spitfire T9, however delightful, the Chipmunk still has the closer aileron/elevator harmonisation.

I also heard from the actual test pilot who did the original Chipmunk spin-strake testing that, although the strakes made an insignificant difference to the spin characteristics, because the accidents subsequently stopped/deteriorated(?) after they were fitted, they decided not to promulgate that fact.

A Chipmunk can only be replaced by a Chipmunk. However, there is one aircraft that has not been mentioned at all yet, which fits the bill quite well. It has two issues: The tailwheel is at the wrong end and there are none in England (AFAIK). It is a contemporary of the Chipmunk, with lots of character, and outperforms the RVs. It is the Beechcraft T-34 Mentor. I would absolutely love to fly one again.

Beechcraft T-34 Mentor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone else here flown one? Fun isn’t it?