PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 23:40
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling that you might be one of the 'nightmare' F/Os of my experience in a very large British airline. Senior F/Os who spent their entire working lives shuttling to and from "Jo-Burg", racking up the credited hours and 'Box' payments.
Well, you go with your feelings then. For the record, "Box payments" are ancient history, and the credit hours for a Jo'burg ain't that good. There may be a trade off, if you love your golf, but in a very large British airline, credit is king. In any case, you might find yourself flying over the Bay of Bengal, or in severe turbulence to LA, on a 3 crew, which was my point.

No senior FO has spent their entire lives racking up credited hours. They've either done it in said same airline on short haul, come from another airline (where they've racked up their golf, no doubt), or the forces, where they've racked up their points by demonstrating their talent (even though they probably have low hours?). No doubt, whilst doing all of that, they've managed to kid the selection process. Well, if they're that clever, good luck to them.

You guys have grown up in the job being totally spoiled by technology. You couldn't do a better job than your old captains if they had one hand tied behind their backs. You would probably be lost without GPS. You probably haven't had to manually set take-off power in your life! You just hit 'EPR'.
There is much talk of this, but I don't see it. I occasionally have to depart with the autothrottle u/s, and we deal with it. So, yes, I have had to set take off power, manually. My aircraft does not have GPS, we fly on N1s on it, and universally, we call "set power", so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Your attitude reinforces my opinion that there is no way I would fly as a passenger in my retirement with guys like you up front.
Well, I couldn't give a toss whether you're on my aeroplane or not, providing you behave yourself. In the meantime, I'm curious to know which airline you will fly with, based on your rational assumptions above.