PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA President Drops the ball on Lateline 31/10/2011
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 22:44
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only conclusion I can come to is that Clifford and Joyce not only want to run Qantas pilots out of the company, but they want to inflict maximum personal and financial damage on each individual pilot in the process.
I don't know that they want to intentionally inflict personal damage. I just think they want Qantas mainline out of their life, and don't particularly care how it happens.

As far as getting jobs with other airlines goes, I don't think it's a problem and certainly there is a considerable exodus from mainline Qantas at the moment, the likes of which I never thought I'd see. Qantas will of course distort those figures as most of them are using leave-without-pay provisions, though I suspect the majority will probably not come back. Therefore Qantas can truthfully (though misleadingly) say there have been very few resignations.

There aren't many airline CEOs who'll lose sleep over taking Joyce's qualified and experienced employees. Least of all Borghetti, as he moves to fill the void Joyce is gifting him while he goes off on his majority asian-owned and operated adventures (misadventures?) using Qantas capital and gradually feeds the remnants of his premium carrier to his bouncing, low-cost silver & orange baby boy.

Geoffrey Thomas and certain other creatures inhabiting this forum might say that it's "necessary for the survival of Qantas" but this line of thinking is very reminiscent of the famous "it was necessary to destroy the town to save it" quote regarding the town of Ben Tre during the Vietnam War.