PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 22:13
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I think that the ultimate source of the damage to Qantas has not yet dawned on you - It's lack of trust, and without trust, Qantas as a going concern is dead in the water.

1. Alan Joyce was quite prepared to massively inconvenience tens of thousands of travelers for corporate gain. The action appears to be premeditated as well. This is a breach of trust.

2. Alan Joyce, through his negotiating team was supposed to have been bargaining in good faith with the Unions concerned. I have no doubt that the Engineers and Pilots teams were operating in good faith since I have heard nothing from Qantas to suggest they were not.

In the case of the engineers, negotiations began in October 2010. My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that Qantas made no substantive offers at all and still had not made any offer, right up to the point of grounding.

The sequence: stonewall for twelve months, PIA begins and is almost immediately followed by grounding and an appeal to FWA doesn't look like good faith to me.

It's simple really; no one in Qantas management can now be trusted. That will sink the company.