PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 20:22
Aileron Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slickster

I have a feeling that you might be one of the 'nightmare' F/Os of my experience in a very large British airline. Senior F/Os who spent their entire working lives shuttling to and from "Jo-Burg", racking up the credited hours and 'Box' payments.

I am now a Captain on short haul, and to judge by some of the comments on this thread, I'd better never go to the toilet, in case something happens, whilst I'm chatting to the CC, and the "200 hour wonder", or whatever you want to call them is at the controls.
I spent years on short-haul, and your biggest decision is normally whether to have the steak or chicken. I contend that you would think about this matter in a different way if you were 50 years of age, about to penetrate the ITCZ, and you were looking at two kids on the flight deck who had shiny new ATPLs in their briefcase, and an ego the size of the moon.

There should be no reason why 2 experienced FOs could not navigate, using the weather radar, or fly their aeroplane equally as well, if not better than their captain.
You guys have grown up in the job being totally spoiled by technology. You couldn't do a better job than your old captains if they had one hand tied behind their backs. You would probably be lost without GPS. You probably haven't had to manually set take-off power in your life! You just hit 'EPR'.

Your attitude reinforces my opinion that there is no way I would fly as a passenger in my retirement with guys like you up front.