PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 12:45
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it BlackandBrown!

You went for a selection procedure along with thousands of others and didn't get through.

The background of pilots in BA are incredibly varied and have become more so after the Hamble/Prestwick years. The intake of DEP's from 2005/6 were from an extremely wide cross section. I suspect the new intake will mirror that.

Yes, some are ex mil, but most from a wide variety of age group, flying background and nationality.

I have been through selections for various companies before joining BA, some I worked for other I didn't. Some through choice other times through failing a selection. Of all these processes I think BA strives harder to maintain parity for candidates. The process is fair.

It does not account for you having a bad day, being off your game or being under prepared but it is too heavily scrutinised to be inconsistent. I know some of the selectors personally and hold them in the highest regard. In interviews they do the utmost to try to help people through the process. There is information they need, if it is not forthcoming they do their best to coax it out. The interview is your's to fail rather than your's to pass!

However, please remember they are not there to pick the best pilots or even the best aircraft operators they are there to pick the best pilots/employees for BA and all that entails!

It may be a subtle difference but is is a difference.

I go back to my original point. If you did not get through the BA selection it could be for a myriad of reasons. It does not mean the selector was biased, the process flawed or even that you are not a good operator. It does however mean that at the end of the whole process BA did not feel you suited it's operation. This time round.

You can continue to find fault, and accuse everyone one in the BA recruitment process of bias. I'm not sure your opinion holds much credence though.

You could however accept it, realise that you don't suit BA or they don't suit you and be a big boy about the rest of your career. Chipped shoulders are very visible to the correct interviewer.

In my 9000 hours and three companies, one command and NO military career. I have not found one respected pilot who does not spend more time looking for ways to improve themselves rather than simply blame the system for failures they make or are even tangentially involved with.

I wish you well in your career and personal development. Maybe in time you will realise what the selectors did or did not see in you and work towards a more successful outcome...next time.

Jazzy

Last edited by JazzyKex; 2nd Nov 2011 at 17:47.