PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Air NZ commuting policy
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 10:58
Point 92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed Pamelah. 23 hours flying in a three-pilot crew, mostly at night, across 12 time zones with just the one night's rest in LAX is definately fatiguing. 2/2/2 was more comfortable but more importantly far more sensible from a fatigue management perspective. Most (though not all, granted) I've talked to agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand Air NZ is perhaps the only operator flying HKG-LHR three pilot also? The point being of course, that if the company was truely serious about reducing pilot fatigue, then there are numerous other measures that they would take to improve safety in this area before attempting to dictate where their staff were allowed to live (if this is even legally enforceable, which I strongly doubt).

We're all professionals, and are all responsible for turning up to work fit to fly.

Under this new policy, a non-commuter can spend his days off away from home, return to Auckland on the day of departure if he chooses and fly standby (if he dares). The commuter can take the same flight, after a restful day at home, but must pay the extra for a firm ticket. Is the staff travel element of this policy related to fatigue management? - no, of course not!

Is an Auckland post office box a satisfactory primary address?