PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA President Drops the ball on Lateline 31/10/2011
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 10:49
peuce

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree it's all supposition at this stage, as Qantas won't/can't publish their End Game.

All we do know is that 1000 jobs are definitely going, Qantas is establishing another Asian Airline, Qantas constantly laments the misfortunes of it's International Division, Qantas refuses to guarantee job security and Qantas continually prattles on about how "other airlines can pay less, why can't we?".

I guess we could all sit around and play tiddly winks waiting for Qantas to tell the world what it has in mind ... or we could put two and two together.... and ask some questions.

And, for mine, it isn't about the money anymore. I don't think Qantas really cares what the staff get given at the inevitable FWA hearing... as the plan is to eventually replace as many of them as is practicable, and is allowed under the Qantas Sale Act.

My prediction is that either:
  • More and more Qantas International flights will spawn from international ports, in internationally registered aircraft with international crews;or
  • Australian registered and crewed aircraft will be relegated to feeding an international hub ... from which the aforementioned international aircraft will take over.