PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 09:23
neville_nobody

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Here is the QF AOC's holder under cross examination on this very issue. Sounds like CASA is putting a bit of pressure on QF over protracted industrial action and flight safety.

You're not in a position sitting in the witness box now, because you're not a trained psychologist, to give any informed view about what the impact may or may not be on an individual because of what is said to be a lockout, or for instance, the stress associated with a hearing such as this, are you?---Is the question am I a trained individual? No.

**** LYELL FRANCIS STRAMBI XXN MR MOSES
PN551

No, correct, I mean - - -?---But as my responsibilities go as the holder of the AOC, I have a responsibility and accountability though for ensuring the safe flight - the safe operation of flights, and these are factors that have to be considered in that.

PN552

But you've been aware for some 12 months that there has been negotiations and protracted disputes that have occurred between various parties in respect of matters between the pilots and Qantas?---Yes.

PN553

You haven't formed a view that that's caused any danger to safety as a result of those matters occurring, is that correct?---In one of the documents that I believe has been tabled, I have expressed a concern about the growing pressures on the business.

PN554

On the business?---On the airline, right? On the airline, and on the safety of flight. Now, in a protracted industrial relations environment and one that has such a high profile, that is going to put stresses on the airline. Our regulator has told us that so in my position I'm sitting here with that responsibility and I do see this balloon stretching over this timeframe.

PN555

The regulator has given no indication to you as to its view about what would be the psychological effects on staff as a result of industrial action, correct?---The regulator has made it very clear to me that while they have no provenance in industrial relations matters, they will take a very strong position, a very strong position where they perceive that to be a risk to flight. And I must add another point here - - -

PN556

And have they indicated that to - - -?--- - - -which helps the understanding of this. The regulator, in conversations with the regulator throughout this period and before this period, as we're giving our regular updates, this is a topical issue. It's raised if not by us it's raised by the regulator. In those conversations we have said and given undertakings that we will constantly review the growing stresses on the organisation, and an undertaking, and this is very important, an undertaking that we would take action before a regulator needed to take action, and that's consistent with the Qantas brand and it's consistent with the Qantas safety first approach. So we would not wait for the regulator to ground us, I would consider that a dereliction of my duties and I have to form that assessment on an ongoing basis.

**** LYELL FRANCIS STRAMBI XXN MR MOSES
PN557

Are you finished? Sir, are you finished? Can I ask you this question?---I though you asked me a question and I was answering.

PN558

CASA has not told you, has it, that if there is a lockout, if there is a lockout of staff on 72 hours' notice, that that would be a risk to safety? You haven't received that information from CASA have you?---CASA told me that they were concerned and watching and taking active steps, right, taking active steps to monitor and this, and this was pre-lockout. At the time of lockout there is an additional stress put into the system so you have a balloon that's expanding, as I said before, you have a regulator who is very focussed on this topic and now you introduce a new risk. And then I have to make an assessment at that point, is it safe to fly?

PN559

Can I assume from that answer that CASA did not inform you that if there was to be a lockout with 72 hours' notice that that would present as a safety risk, correct?---I would not have discussed that scenario.