PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 08:31
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geoffers, no problem - great to have you back!

Just to fill in some blanks in terms of connections - I came to know PPRuNe through PPRuNer Speechless Two (who you will know as T.D.) the last surviving member of the Ferranti team who is still contactable.

I hope this won't go to your head but TD mentioned to me that you were one of the more 'accomplished' pilots he encountered during his career and that you conducted his first sim training session with BCalH on the S61. Evidently on the first time round someone knocked a switch and the virtual craft aimed straight for a hangar, lol!

I also know you consult for AgustaWestland in the operation of what I assume are their new generation full flight simulators (CAE manufactured for Rotorsim?) and that you spend an appreciable amount of time in my homeland.

You doubtless spend more time there than I do at present as I am engaged with mainly fixed-wing (airline) clients in the Middle East and Africa and only get back to Milano for Christmas and Easter.

I would love to hear a little more from your days with Alan Mann and even BCalH. What did you think of the 214ST - I always thought it was just a bit too big for a two-blader?

A small tribute to Speechless Two who, living-up to his name, is rarely heard from these days!

PPRuNeR Speechless Two aka T.D. - Bolkow Training Captain with Ferranti Helicopters c. 1975

Flew helicopters with the Royal Navy from 1963 to 1968 serving in the Far and Middle East on anti-submarine and search and rescue operations. After leaving the forces he joined the South Western Electricity Board where he conducted powerline surveys and executive liaison duties prior to joining Irish Helicopters in 1972 where he flew oil rig and lighthouse support. Speechless Two then worked with the property developer Mackenzie Hill flying a corporate Bo105, G-BAFD, (later bought by Ferranti) prior to joining Ferranti in 1974.

While with Ferranti 'Speechless' became Ferranti's Bolkow Training Captain. When Ferranti was sold to BCal (1979) Speechless Two remained with the new company eventually becoming Chief Pilot of BCalH.

Speechless Two with SWEB's G-AVYX (the 11th JetRanger delivered to the UK) at SWEB's headquarters prior to an executive liaison flight