PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 08:21
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
@DW

DW

@Franzl

You're comparing apples with oranges here, or to be more literal, comparing the conventional, or "way we used to do it" method with the method on the FBW Airbus series, which is intended to be used in a completely different way - unless something has gone so seriously wrong with the aircraft that a drop to Direct Law is necesssary.
Read my posts, and read yours. I did not start comparing, that has been yourself.

Quote DW (bolding by me)
It does exactly what it says on the tin and trims automatically in the same way that manual trim is applied on older aircraft - there have never been any hard limits on manual trim wheels, why should there be one on their modern automatic descendents?
I might not know the design of the system, but i can get a grasp on how it functions looking from the pilots side. And from that point of view i find the necessity to stop trimming beyond a certain value, if protections are not available. As mentioned before, there are a lot of data available which could be used for such an safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
Under all laws - even without protections, as the speed decays the control mode gradually transfers from "G" command to pitch command, meaning that the autotrim will not trim to stall with stick neutral due to decaying speed alone.
infrequentflyer
Not sure your're right there. Perpignan traces show exactly what you say can't happen.

I think you'll find that as speed decays, more elevator / trim will be needed to maintain stable attitude, and autotrim will happily provide it - up to the stops
That is exactly what happens, and i cannot understand, how anybody can feel good about it. We have been through this ordeal moons ago, but DW likes to forget about that.