PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish LOT 767 wheels up landing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 03:39
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, well done to the crew. Looks like very competently handled situation and the best outcome that could have been expected.

I share Captplaystation's concern that a CB tripping could lead to snags with the ALTN lowering system but I'm quietly confident that would have been talked about and checked while they hung around in the overhead chatting to the engineers.

Despite the QRH drill for C Hyd calling for flap 20, it certainly looks from the photos like they went for a flap 30 landing (for obvious reasons). No criticism at all; I would have done exactly the same thing (after discussing it with my colleagues, of course) and just offer the comment as an observation.

Flipperb, I would suggest that thought would not have gone through their minds at all. Presented with a C Hyd failure you run the QRH. There is no reason to suppose the gear wouldn't come down on the ALTN system and I am quite sure the first time they would have thought 'now we've got a problem' is when it didn't. Until that point I reckon they would have been fairly relaxed with, let's face it, an unusual occurrence but something that is practised regularly in the sim and is not really a big deal.

Spoilers, schmoilers. They wouldn't have armed them for landing and not all of them work with a C Hyd fail anyway. IF I had time and remembered during the 'roll out' I like to think I might have popped the speedbrake lever but, as has been pointed out already, it really isn't going to help too much with the landing/sliding distance and it's just another thing to remember to stow prior to evacuating. It looks like this intrepid crew DID remember during the slide and just adds credence to a job well done