PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the approach. Few questions..
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 21:12
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi zk,

I posted this reply before your last post (number 6) so I will look at your chart and may reply again. In the meantime, here is what I said:

I think what you're describing is a 45/180 procedure turn. This is flown by reference to headings and times.

You start by flying away from the airfield on the reciprocal of the localiser course.

The start of the turn is defined by some means (DME, crossing radial, bearing to an NDB, timing, etc).

Some procedures don't define the start of the turn but just say, 'complete the PT within 10nm'.

When you reach the defined start point, you start your stopwatch and turn in the correct direction through 45 degrees. You are trying to achieve a track of 45 degrees from the original, so due allowance must be made for wind (drift).

After 1 min 15 sec (or 1 min for slower aircraft) you turn 180 degrees in the opposite direction. The timing must also allow for any headwind or tailwind component.

The new heading (again adjusted for wind) will put you on a 45 degree intercept for the localiser.

This procedure normally includes a descent to the 'platform altitude', from which the final descent on the glidepath is commenced.

Hope this is what you wanted to know,

Eck