PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers wanted in Spain
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 21:05
Danscowpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If English is the 'international language of civil aviation', why do applicants need to be fluent in "ICAO Level 4 Spanish", (whatever that is)?

P.S. How long does it take to acquire this qualification?

P.P.S. Is there a dispensation if you already hold a Santander bank account?

English is not the "international language of civil aviation, technically, according to ICAO, English, Spanish or Russian may be used, how they arrived at that I don't know, but that's the mantra they preach.
Each country has the right to insist that pilots and ATCOs speak the native language at a proficiently technical level.
ICAO give guidance as to they pre requistes for these standards and candidates are required to meet them.
Although RT may be predominantly conducted in English at major airports, other smaller airports may restrict communications in anything other than Spanish to non native pilots. Nearly all landline communications will almost certainly be conducted in Spanish.
It takes as long as it takes you to be able to speak and read Spanish to a reasonably good level to "get this qualification", you won't get the job without it, (adopting the "Brit' abroad policy", i.e. shouting loudly in English, will not suffice).

By all means give me your Santander bank account number, sort code and PIN and I'd be happy to get you to the front of the queue.