PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - correction for tail wind on approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 16:49
JABBARA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi flyburg,

Sorry for this confusion.

I cannot give any written reference but, on a delivery flight of a B 737-800 in Seattle, one of the Boeing Engineer who is in charge of documentation, he explained one of our question regarding the speed selection difference between B 737-400 and 800 by this way. Frankly speaking, even I forgot what was our question then so he explained this way (long time I am flying with Airbus 330, so the concept is completely different).

But my humble knowledge of Aerodynamic and Flight Mechanic confirms what the engineer said, as simply explained by Fatflyer. If we look the things in the reverse way, this also explains why there is so small tailwind limit (usually 10 K) regardless of the length of runway where we land (even so long): Because in the HW case you can compansate body attitude by increasing speed, but in TW case you do not have this option as reducing speed below Vref. Result, at very strong tailwind you may hit the nose gear before main gear.

The Airbus Document "Getting the Grips with Cat II and III" explains how the visual segmet is effected by body attitude. As you are aware, 1 or 2 degrees changes of attitude by speed may seem small, but its impact on visual segment (particularly at high cockpit airplanes) will be more pronounced.

Maybe some other collegues can explain better.

Regards