PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation technique.
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 13:42
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eagle 86

"Tourist,
I guess your public profile says a lot about you"

Nice.

Always good to play the man not the argument.

(anyway, what's wrong with being a wafu?!)

Come to Predannack any day of the week and you will see a variety of autos.

My personal favourite was always the
3000' 90kts into wind Seaking comedy auto invented by a certain very grumpy pilot who now flys for Loganair.
On top the target (15kts of wind was nice), enter auto and rapidly ramp it up to hit zero speed without height loss.
As soon as zero airspeed, level the cab and spot turn in auto right.
After one complete turn, bury the nose to get 70kts and continue the turn into a 360 auto right.
As you approach the into wind heading dump the nose further to get into a range auto up near Vne.
As the wind has drifted you backwards, the two stage flare should bring you nicely back to a spot landing on the H.

I still remember my large ginger instructor on 810sqn demonstrating that for a real double engine failure, you can do whatever necessary to get you back to the spot. His party trick was to fly over directly the spot into wind 90kts 2000' and get the student to say when he thought it was no longer possible to get back to the spot in auto. When you eventually said "now" some 20 seconds past the spot he would wait another 10 seconds before entering auto then straight into a wingover in auto, dive back towards the spot before another wingover to bring him back into wind for the flare/check/level. As he said. "if you control the Nr, then the rest is just normal flying"