PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEAGLE HUSKY - XW635 - Ex-5 AEF -Where is she now
Old 1st Nov 2011, 13:20
bobward

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Somewhere in my home archives I've a picture of her when she was first dekeivered to 5 AEF - in a blue and white scheme. She was then called 'Sprirt of Butlins' as Billy Butlin won it in a raffle, and Hughie Green suggested he pass it on the the ATC.

I only flew in it once as a cadet, and can confirm that it flew with two "little 'uns" in the back. I was a bit bigger and was allowed in the front where my amateurish pudding stirring made the two in the back fill their blue bags with re-cycled opizza.....

Hughie Green did indeed get bounced in the Berlin corridor in the 1960's. I remember reading about it in the RAF Flying Review (who else remembers that one??) It seems that the clearances weren't all in order before they went. After dodging Migs and Yaks for a while they made a break for Berlin, which was when the Migs opened up on them.

This was before he hosted Opportunity Knocks - had that show been on air at the time they might have hosed him down earlier......