PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Customs Advise pls
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2002, 20:56
bottieburp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customs

I have been flying into France on quite a regular basis from my Midlands farm strip.

I file to Cherbourg, 'clear' there (rarely any customs officers there - closed on Sundays/ Mondays - Close your FP with Lille APP on those days).

On my return I just file direct. I don't notify anybody other than by FP.

THe only time I have ever been met was on my return recently from Waterford. The Pof T requires 24(?) hours notice of out/inbound flights from Ireland. IOM and Channel Islands but SB will happily accept 12.

THe only reason I was met was because I forgot to give sufficient notice (too much black stuff the night before!). The Det Con was really friendly - especially when I offered to take him for a flight over his house!

A word of warning when flying into France.

A good friend filed direct to Dieppe (great restaurant - the Sarajevo just off the market square) instead of via Le Touquet or other designated customs airfield.

Flight Plan accepted - no problem. However, as soon as his wheels touched the ground the gun toting feds clattered in by helicopter, were rude, agressive and finally stiffed him for £200.

Can you imagine a reverse scenario here?

No way!

Great country - obey the rules - enjoy the cheap landing fees, the food, the wine - all great. Like the French themselves? Your choice!

BB