PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a follow-me car used?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 06:35
42psi

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Can be used at either pilot or ATC request or as a planned mitigation due to a temporary risk caused by something likes twy works, lighting failure, twy surface failure at some point, twy signage missing etc.

In the case of it being done as a mitigating factor for some potential risk then it usually becomes mandatory for all a/c for the period in which the risk exists.

i.e. twy lighting failure might mean no requirement during daylight hours but is mandatory during night hours.

If it's due to something like a surface failure etc then the follow-me would normally be just to get past/around the problem area.

If pilot was uncertain of twy instructions it might be requested.

If readback of twy instructions was consistently wrong then ATC are likely to request it, the same thing if the readback is correct but continual/multiple errors are then made.

It can sometimes also be provided if there's something like a medical emergency on board in order to get the a/c quickly to the stand, particularly if the airport involved has a complex or potentially confusing twy layout.

With the car awaiting the aircaft it being daylight hours it was clearly pre-planned/requested.

So to me that says that if any sort of works was not in progress then either the a/c requested assistance, there was something complicated or potentially confusing about the twy routing or that there was an expectation that the a/c would not correctly follow ATC twy instructions.

Did you notice if other a/c were getting follow-me's.

Last edited by 42psi; 1st Nov 2011 at 06:45.