PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK hiring DEC's for 2012.
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 06:30
Boeing 777-300ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this thread, or any other thread dealing with EK DEC's or any other airline for that matter, gets me really baffled and confused why people get so emotional.

When I joined my former airline (an EU and unionised airline) as a cadet and later as a F/O there was nowhere written down on the contract my right for upgrade or time frame. The only place where the minimum requirements for upgrade where written down was the training manual. Not in my contract or collective agreement.

When I was due for upgrade, they employed DEC's. When us guys ready for upgrade spoke to management in the presence of ALPA executives, the answer was a simple two word "company exigencies". As we were not really happy with the answer we appraoched an Industrial Relations lawyer and his answer was "You don't have a case here". Were we pissed off? Yes we were.

We got our upgrade and some of us by time left for a better salary or life style. And no we didn't join other airlines as F/O's because its the right and moral way to do. And I am sure that many EK F/O's will do the same when they are upgraded to the left seat and want to leave Dubai for greener pastures. They will apply for DEC positions and rightly so. One should never leave the left seat for a right seat, and if he or she does so it's at their own risk.

So I think its time for a reality check guys as airlines are competing in a cuthroat industry and their first priority is pounds/dollars/euros and not what is the right or correct or moral thing to please us employees.