PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAM Aerocommander pilots!
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2011, 02:33
VH-FTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-FTS - Storm season without weather radars? Didn't realise that most GA piston drivers had one. No fear over the aircraft structure if managed - i'll reword your question to how many spars have GAM had fail? All waiting for a call up to turbines - no not all but generally yes and some do love the job and company hence after many years are still there.
Really, GAM have had no in-flight break ups ever? You know exactly what I was getting at - don't be smart.

The point is a wx radar is very handy when you don't have 100% confidence in the history of your aircraft type. Plus I'd imagine in general your lot do more night flying than a lot of other GA operators, making it even more challenging to detect bad weather at times with your mark 1 eyeball.

VH-FTS - A GAM pilot would be awake at around 3am. Only 6 shifts a week out of 65 in the whole company! Plus it is rare to do it back to back.
Is that why I hear three GAM planes depart BNE early morning around 5am? Sorry, they get up at 3:15am instead, my mistake...

In summary the GAMair FRMS isn't fun
The FRMS is ok and it works.
Ok, which is it then? The current and former GAM pilots I speak to think it is the former. My understanding is CASA won't issue FRMS like GAM has these days because the science of fatigue has moved on during the last ten years.

Read back and you'll see I was defending you against the guys who think you have it easy. But since you tell me your job is so easy then maybe the soap opera watching lifestyle justifies your crummy pay.