PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 22:00
captain_salman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for replying, I will be keep updates on the current condition of the RAF remains here in Sharjah, will also share interesting pictures.

Some random shots taken recently:

RAF Museum today

Distant view from my building

Afternoon view from a lower floor

This was the second "T" holding point to the runway I was talking about still remains today visible in the empty are where few cars are parked today. The first "T" fully connected taxiway in hard tarmac is no more as buildings now exist there

And now a similar to Kay's old picture with this GE snap of today, the yellow "T" is what's left of the holding point taxiway connecting to the runway. The red markings are the RAF fort and the hangar for the similar reference in the pic below this GE snap!

Now the same reference of today's remains on yesterday's photo!

Time changes everything! I always imagined to see this area in its former glory, does anyone have more images of RAF Sharjah? Perhaps from the 70s or 80s ?

One more fact here....I remember when I was a child back in the mid 90s the area was a complete ruin, control tower glasses were broken, old brown paints on the walls, the field was empty and fully intact !! The taxiways, general aviation parking, ramps, fuel pumps everything was there until 1993 I remember and I wish I could have taken photographs! It was till the mid 90s after which the field, GA parking were broken as buildings started to emerge in the area which repopulates yet again after a gap of 30 years!

There is much to be told about RAF Sharjah's bygone days!