PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA President Drops the ball on Lateline 31/10/2011
Old 31st Oct 2011, 21:56
Amygdala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met a man a few years ago, about early fifties and as a Captain, he was about to leave JS for SE Asia to fly. He had a recent experience that he was not comfortable with (and my job involved discussing that). He told me much about the 25 minute turnaround and how that business model did not fit with his training and career understanding of safe flight, planning, briefing, aircraft preparation aspects etc. I came from the same flying training regime as this as did many of us who learned to fly in the 70's. There have been many incidents associated with these issues and there will be many more as there is really only one way to prepare for flight. Sure aviation, especially high-end public transport, is safe but this safety is diminished by this business model. The fact remains that passengers see aviation as risky, probably because when it goes wrong, it is is really spectacular and the business model results are usually terminal. Sometimes the self-righteous, uneducated and narrow-minded means to an end by business managers is self-destructive. The management model should really include some strong operational and safety component that can balance this, otherwise there may be no business model to worry about as the supply and demand chain will diminish to zero very quickly; spectacularly in fact.