PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 31st Oct 2011, 20:03
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I also got the good news today so I am once again swimming in the pool.

I would like to second Brian's thanks to all those who have passed on their hints and tips and all those who gave me hope after the hold pool was dispanded last year. This thread, although now rather long, is an invaluable source of information for the BA application process.

My sim was very close to that described by Von Smallhausen. A SID from a major SE airport into a STAR to another. On the way we had a reroute and a request for a time at an enroute point. The reroute necessitated a different STAR than briefed at the arrival airport. The airport was then closed due to a 'bomb scare' so entered the hold below FL60 so manually flown. We had to make a decision on what to do; speak to speedbird ops for advice, consider fuel, wx at alternates etc. As soon as we had made a decision to divert the bomb threat was cleared so we continued on the proceedure to the ILS to land.

As Brian said, its seems to me that the sim is more like a continuation of the interview, but in a different setting. They are looking to find out more about you, how are you under pressure (CRM), could the instructor see themselves sitting next to you all the way to Los Angeles or doing 4 sectors to Paris and back, are you a soduko guy or a cryptic crossword girl? They are not looking for the next Airbus test pilot but you will need some basic competancy. I made several embarrassing mistakes, some of which I noticed and then corrected. At the end of the sim you have the opportunity to self debrief. Use it as an opportunity to admit your mistakes and to say how you would do it differently next time.

I didn't use any online sim software or other stuff, but if it makes you feel more at ease and therefore confident then it's worth the money for you.

BA will be recruiting again but there seems a bit of a backlog for both day 1 and day 2 placements from the last recruitment period so I doubt they will open it up again until this backlog is cleared. No facts to back that up but it makes sense.

all the best to all. If you fail at the first attempt don't give up. this was my 3rd go in 5 years.

regards