PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller Striking Passenger Exiting Piper Tomahawk
Old 31st Oct 2011, 18:40
The Heff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mistake, I meant the red starter light! Sat behind my computer, I incorrectly thought it was the Low Voltage warning I was thinking of. I'll follow mad_jock and 24carrot's advice about re-familiarising myself with the C150 and PA-28 panel!

Originally Posted by mad_jock
As for what the pilot had been told about shutting the engine down its another one of those urban flying school myths which has been twisted from its initial purpose into utter ****e.
I thought this would probably be the case, because I couldn't think of any mechanical reason why starting up the engine and promptly shutting down would cause any substantial damage.

Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Passenger safety is totally the pilot's responsibility!
I also agree with Pilot DAR's conclusion, and am confident that in this situation I would have shut the engine down prior to the passenger's departure. I'd like to think that I would have walked with them back to the control tower to obtain the second head-set, rather than let them wander about airside on their own!

I'm still getting used to my new aeroplane, which is a vintage hand-start design; which has already taught me lots of new things about propeller safety and engine ignition systems!

However, judging by the differing recollections by the pilot and the passenger, I wonder if they're still friends?