PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do some pilots consider speed control to be optional??
Old 31st Oct 2011, 13:37
DBate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur with judge.oversteer that large heavy a/c have speed/flaps issues, which is to say that having to manoeuvre with flaps extended in order to comply with a slower speed multiplies fuel burn, and after a 14 hrs flight there isn't much "extra" fuel to be dragging flaps.

There is no excuse for non compliance, but controllers should also be conscious of performance constraints when ordering a 747 to reduce to 220kts when 50 miles out.
All correct, however there is no reason - when given a reduction to 220kt by ATC - not to ask ATC if you may 'maintain 230kt to stay clean'. In my experiance that request is usually granted unless the controller really needs you slower.

Point is, if a specific speed intruction is given, then we are to comply. Airspace nowadays, especially in Europe, is way too crowded. Instructions by ATC are given for a reason, and usually it's not just 'for kicks', but to avoid coming close to other traffic or for flow control. The whole system is at times operating at its limits, so lets not make our colleagues work on the ground (i.e. ATC) harder than it already is by not complying with instructions.

There is no room for 'personal interpretation' of a clearance. If you have doubts, then ask for clarification. My guess is that this is way more preferable than just doing what you think ATC wants you to do.

And regarding use of speedbrakes; it's a paid part of the aircraft. Why not use it when necessary.