PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG RTO Braking
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 13:12
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GlueBall
Yes & No, many times in the Sim I have seen people "covering" the brakes & simultaneously applying rudder resulting in unintentional disengagement, even though they have briefed that they would let RTO do its work. Upon realising this, there may be a reasonable amount of braking being applied , but for sure not the max. For this I think it is an important status change,(I.E YOU are braking , I , "the aircraft", am not) which I have seen slip peoples attention if they are PF.
Sciolistes, I take your point about briefs that go on & on & on , try listening to a Ryanair NPA double brief ! but I have always found it followed a fairly logical sequence when stating the actions , you as PF would do, to subsequently state what you expect of your PM.
"In the event of aborting, I will call STOP ! (ABANDON? or whatever is flavour of the month in your particular company) , close the thrust levers , raise the speedbrakes & apply max reverse, you will call any omitted items & inform me if autobrake disarm illuminates & call out speed ( as demanded by the particular company - usually 80kt, but some want every 20kt on the way down)
I think that is the basic purpose of a brief, what you can expect me to do + what I expect you to do. Most importantly it removes the possibility of any grey areas about whether PF for some reason intended to brake manually, or whether it just "happened".
Failure to see/call out omitted items has quite possibly been a major contributory factor in many over-runs, how often in serious over-runs have you heard anyone calling "No Reverse" / "No Speedbrake" or whatever. I certainly don't remember anyone speaking up loud & clear in AF in Toronto, the Brazilian A320, or indeed most of these accidents where urgent stopping action was not initiated in a timely fashion.
Clear immediate communication would have saved the day in many of these incidents, & a proper (but not exaggerated I agree) brief is always going to be a useful reminder, especially departing at awful o'clock after 3 or 4 hrs sleep.
I put my hand up to failing in this respect on a 10,000ft dry runway flying with a guy I sat next to 24hrs before, but sitting next to A.N.Other with 2000m of wet runway at 4 in the morning I will be spelling it out.