PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who here is a foreigner working as a pilot in the USA?
Old 31st Oct 2011, 12:36
NEDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently in Australia, you may have heard what has just happened with Qantas Airways and the unions. The company locked out all of its staff, grounding the whole fleet. They forced the government's hand to intervene and terminate all industrial action; basically revoking the pilots (and ground staff and engineers) their right to strike.

Australia is heading down a bad path.

Luckily I am engaged to a beautiful US national who makes above average money, so I will be heading there very soon to live with her.

As good as the terms seem to be here for most in Australia, I really do envy the U.S. locations a pilot can fly to! Hundreds of cities compared to much fewer here. If after a few years I am fed up of being treated like a slave, I will then reconsider my options.

Until then, wish me luck!
Sad to hear Australian airline executives are following the path of the Frank Lorenzo.

Congrats on your engagement though! It will be nice to have a few options with regards to employment. I am an American and just got married to an EU national, so in theory that part of the world begins to open up for me after I get a JAA license.

Good Luck!