PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you fly tracks if issue tracks.
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 12:06
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The DH8 is one of the planes fitting Type1106s description. It has a FMS that is able to calculate tracks, winds aloft and all that. It also has a LNAV heading mode in which You enter the heading to be flown into the FMS and let it take care of this instead of using the heading bug (forbidden in a few, optional in most, compulsory in other cases).

But this mode does exactly that - it follows a heading without corrrecting for drift, let alone changing drift due to wind changes coming with altitude changes. While it would be possible to chase the track bug on the ND by using any of the heading modes, it would drastically increase workload in a situation not low on it by itself (approach or climb) and also possibly be a bit inaccurate.

What can be done (although it takes some serious FMS programming; I estimate 30 seconds at least) is leaving a fix on a designated track or intercepting a track from a fix to follow it.

A question for my understanding: I am not an ATCO, but I would expect a heading to work all right, as drift is pretty much the same for all aircraft at an altitude within a not-too-large area?