PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT 3B with 15 ft decision hieght
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 09:54
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, we haven't progressed much since the Trident in the 60's (or was it the Varsity in the 50's) due to nonsensical DH's, rather than lack of aircraft capability. As prev poster said, not much point in a DH, if you will have no visual cues to enable the decision making process.
I know from practical experience, that 175m vs 200m looks very different from 50'DH (RVR dropped after 1000'/FAF , as you asked) so I am guessing that the relation of RVR/DH/Cut off angle would make any DH with RVR 100m or less, a bit of a theoretical nonsense , with no practical purpose. If they are trying to argue it is the last moment to check all is OK , & if so land, I would suggest that is what is being done constantly on a Low Vis appr by the monitoring ( & handling ! ) pilot, so no reason for applying a DH there either.
AFAIK BA had 75m No DH on the 757 ( & no doubt other fleets) surely the only sensible limit for an aircraft with automated after landing centre-line guidance avail. Would take a while to find you in the event of some emergency after /during landing, but that is a whole new discussion topic.