PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REMEMBRANCE DAY 2011
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 07:52
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm, Last Post(ing) almost a year ago...

This year I'll be back in the UK - London on 11th and in my northern home town on the 13th. Last year was spent laying a wreath at a CWGC Cemetary along with other Commonwealth personnel.

What to do this year? Well, I'll observe the 2 minutes silence on the 11th, but I think I will avoid the local service on Sunday. Why? Well, a quick check of the council website shows it promotiiong a 'service of reconcilliation' at 1400 (rather than 1100) and lists the various groups who will be participating, including Quakers (holding a silent vigil), Free Palestine, Fair Trade for (Home town), Woodland Folk, along with the usual RBL, RAFA, ACF, WI and scounting groups.

Like RWB, I fear that there is a growth in the Grief Industry; this proposed non-denominational service is labelled as a service to commemorate all victims of war and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but firstly I sense that it might be used as a political platform and, secondly, a lot of people will turn up to be seen - just like RWB. I'm sure it will be a jolly day out. Moreover, when I last attended the service (which was 'happy clappy', to say the least) I got a bit of grief afterwards from some of the bewhiskered, crimson-faced RBL and RAFA types there, who talked of an alien BAOR and RAFG and made slighted comments about my Balkans medals as not counting (I have medals for the Middle East and AFG as well) and then bored to the point of self-harm by two guys explaining why they should be awarded a National Defence Medal for spending their careers drinking beer in Germany, amongst recolelctions of getting drunk in the Mally and Naafi. Now I incurred the wrath of some PPruners by mentioning this attitude of some RBL and RAFA types some months ago, but again I wonder how many of those attending this service in this northern, but affluent town full of 'down-shifters' know any people currently in the Services or indeed, have any conenction at all?

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh - at least the fallen will be remembered, albeit through revisionist eyes. I might head over to Chapel at my son's school. Most of the Upper 6th of 1913 were lost on the first day of the Somme. Now that's sobering to reflect on.