PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAM Aerocommander pilots!
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 01:18
Twin Commander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Facts!

I'm a fence sitter on this as I have witnessed the good and the bad, but I believe a few facts need to be corrected.
VH-FTS - The FRMS is ok and it works. It is a positive to see a company obey it rather then fudge times!
Hold Short - 1-2 days of stby during Monday to Friday???? Some bases don't get any standbys but they aim for 1 per week - I assume you are talking about the 'teachers pet', Brisbane.

j3pipercub - As Romeo Charlie' said (and he would know!) they can work 6 days a week plus Brisbane has the only 4:00 sign on. Other bases 4:45, 5:00, 6:30 for bankrun pilots.

JackRanga - Nicely said, plus no 'pending clearance' and 'IFR taxi'!

VH-FTS - Storm season without weather radars? Didn't realise that most GA piston drivers had one. No fear over the aircraft structure if managed - i'll reword your question to how many spars have GAM had fail? All waiting for a call up to turbines - no not all but generally yes and some do love the job and company hence after many years are still there.

AyeEss - Love your work!
FGD135 - What about when about to change level? Centre often give traffic on climb for descent due to short legs. Having left their cruising level, do they report this to centre? Probably identified hence not required however i'm sure some forget.
das Uber Soldat - four or even sometimes five days straight of 4:45am - 7:30pm, 6.5 VDO. Only the Gladstone run does 6.5 a week and the sign on is 06:00 Tue-Thur but they share that around - plus they get extra money for it! I believe the max hours done recently in the company is about 32 per week, 123 per month, 1079 per year! Definately a good job for building hours i would say!
eocvictim - 1 hour commute isn't GAMair's fault!
Wally Mk2 - You always seem to tell it like it is! Nice work!
Che cow with guns - Well said.
VH-FTS - A GAM pilot would be awake at around 3am. Only 6 shifts a week out of 65 in the whole company! Plus it is rare to do it back to back.

Nothing in the above comments include the Dornier flying in Brisbane where they work gentlemans hours compared to the bankrunners.
If you don't like hard work and a disrupted lifestyle, the job isn't for you. Unfortunately too many people are looking at the lack of work airline pilots do and are trying to compare GAMair to them!
In summary the GAMair FRMS isn't fun but it works if you are capable of managing yourself. It is also good to see a company follow the pilots award and any allowances in it! Good hours for the next job - but not all are chasing airlines!

Yeah OK everyone have a go at me now for stating the facts.......